Some of you who know me better know that the past few weeks have been especially hard for me as my Mother has slipped into another realm, becoming more confused and less predictable. This has forced a change of living environment that while difficult for both of us, I have to say I think my Mom is handling it better than I am.
I know I’m not alone. This is what you do at my age. We Baby Boomers are also entering a phase of life called the “sandwich generation,” which means you’re often taking care of your kids and your parents at the same time. It’s not that I’m complaining. Taking care of my Mom has turned out to be one of the greatest gifts of my life; a relationship that was challenged from the start, mellowed to take on a new dimension as the child became the parent and the parent became the one cared for. It has been a humbling, if uneven, blessing. Thank you Mom for trusting me.
So for all you Mother’s out there who may be a part of the “Sandwhich Generation,” or for those children, husbands, and friends who love them, here are some of my favorite gift ideas for Mother’s Day 2012. It’s always good to have help with ideas, so please feel free to add your own to this list by posting at the bottom of the page or joining us on our facebook page.
1) Give the gift of unconditional love. Numerous studies have shown that companion animals — whether cats or dogs — are good for our health. They can help lower blood pressure as well as the level of stress hormones in the body, and they also encourage social interaction. For the right mother, adopting an animal can be the ultimate Mother’s Day gift, says Ruth Goldstein, a spokeswoman for the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
“Studies indicate that owning an animal reduces stress, petting lowers blood pressure, and [a companion animal] is company, it’s a member of the family, and its unconditional love.”
“For empty nesters, it gives an outlet for affection,” she says. However, “If you are interested in giving the gift of a dog or cat for Mother’s day, we advise that you talk it over so there is no element of surprise.” After the initial conversation, present your mom with a dog care book, a leash, or accessories on Mother’s Day. “Then come in [to a shelter or pet shop] with your mom and go through the selection process together. There are millions of homeless… healthy, and loving animals available at shelters across the country, and we have a pet overpopulation in this country,” she says, adding that many animals find themselves in shelters through no fault of their own. If your Mom is healthy and willing, contact Wayside Waifs for more information! I have two fabulous mutts that I rescued- one of them from Wayside Waifs.
2) Make her smile all year long with bright white teeth, suggests Jay Hodges, DDS, my Mother and my dentist who specializes in all kinds of dental health including restoration. Having a healthy mouth is essential to having a healthy body so give your Mom the gift of a bright smile and healthy digestion with a gift certificate to Dr Jay Hodge Cosmetic Dentistry - conviently located in Brookside.
3) Give the gift that gives back. Mother’s day is the perfect time to give your mom something special as well as make a donation to a charity in her honor, says Alayna Kassan, co-founder of Presents for Purpose, a gift and accessory company that donates 25% of proceeds to participating charities including the Lymphoma Research Foundation, Strang Cancer Prevention Center, Grassroot Soccer, First Candle, CancerCare, and Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
This year, Kassan is launching a trendy hot pink watch in honor of Mother’s Day. “The proceeds go to the shopper’s charity of choice, and we are offering free shipping for the occasion,” she says. “One of the most special things about gifts that give back is that they not only touch someone you know, but they also touch someone that you don’t.” Other gifts include tote bags, vanity sets, and luxury bathrobes. “Mom’s gift will arrive packaged with information about the donation and the benefiting organization,” Kassan says. For more information on the presents and the purposes, visit presentsforapurpose.com
4) Treat her feet. Consider getting your mom a foot massage, foot reflexology, or a relaxing pedicure, says Kansas City Podiatry Center for Footcare. ”People pay so little attention to their feet and they are always cramped in shoes. Moms are usually running around after kids all day long, and the last thing they do is take care of themselves and their feet.” I suggest contacting our own Katy B at The Massage Studio KClocated inside 1901. She’ll treat your Mom’s feet and the whole body with a fabulous massage. Prefer a pedicure? I recommend Anna and her staff at West Plaza Nails.
5) Meals on Wheels - Give your mom a break from the kitchen by ordering custom meals prepared by two of my favorite services, A friend that Cooks and Conveniently Natural. These are both wonderfully healthy options- A friend that Cooks is exactly that- a personal chef that comes to your home and prepares recipes that you choose. They even do the grocery shopping for you! Conveniently Natural delivers gluten free and vegan meals weekly to your doorstop. Whatever your preference- these two delicious services cover it all.
6) Dress Up Day- Two of my favorite locally owned boutiques Imagery and In Clover will be offering great itmes and specials for Mother’s Day. Run, do not walk to the Garment Distrcit this Friday (May 11th) evening (in the Power & Light District) for DRESS TO IMPRESS, a fahion filled night to benefit The Dave Anders Scholarship Fund.
7) Help Her Get Organized! Don’t Miss Jill Tupper and my workshop Spring Cleanse- Body Mind Closet this Saturday, May 12th from 1-4pm. This Dynamic Workshop is Designed to Clear Mom’s Clutter & Create the Clarity she Wants… We will walk her through a simple 1 week cleanse of your body, while detoxing your mind & de-cluttering your closet. The Perfect workshop to align yourself with the energy of spring. Sign up now. Space is limited!
Tiny Sprinkle is advocate and love, health, pilates, and the Paleo diet. She helps women find their power and spirit through coaching and Pilates. When she’s not spreading the word and the love, you can find her teaching a class at Pilates 1901.
Get Your Free Reinvent Your Look eBook!
I believe that you are experiencing the best time of your life right now.
In my new eBook I will show you timeless beauty tips used by legendary beauties like Cher, Tina Turner and Audrey Hepburn. Now is the time to flaunt yourself not hide yourself or make excuses!
The best part is that my new eBook is yours for Free.
Just enter your best email to tell me where to send it.
Category: Health & Happiness