Divorce and depression are dark. They can rob you of sleep, happiness, dignity and your net worth.
I know depression on a first name basis. He cloaked me with his darkness for years. I remember laying in bed unable to stop crying on a bright, cheery Sunday when I should have been tailgating with my friends who couldn’t persuade me to come out to the Chiefs game.
I knew I needed help. I got with a great counselor who helped me turn on my light, which has beamed brightly ever since. That was 14 years ago, but I remember the blackness, the taste of my tears, the weight of my despair and hopelessness like it were yesterday.
Lord Darkness Has Crept Into My Girlfriend’s Beds
Several of my friends in midlife are in the process of divorce right now. Sue separated and moved out but her 2000 Camry just crapped out and she was forced to buy a new car at high interest because of the foreclosure and bankruptcy her ex-husband cultivated. Nevertheless, she sees the light at the end of the tunnel and is driving forward.
Cheryl feels trapped with nowhere to go because her marriage is over, but she is oppressively depressed because doesn’t know how she can possibly leave her verbally abusive husband and start over without her own income.
There is always help. There is always an answer. There is always a path out.
This is a short list that I’ve started to give you hope and guide you to the right resources at the right price in your community. Please contact me if you need help finding advocates and counselors. I’m here to help all middle-aged women who are starting over or facing hardships because of the loss of a job or loved one.
Divorce Support Groups
- Divorce Support. Divorce Source provides ample checklists, separation agreements, and links to attorneys and mediators. Mediating your divorce can cost as little as $5,000 and hiring attorneys can run upwards of $30,000 or more. 800-680-9052.
- Mediated Resolution Center. If you’re looking for resolution not a fight and live in the state of Missouri, try Matthew O’Conner, attorney at law.
- Post Divorce Chronicles. Need a certified divorce coach? Try Lee Block who you can work with via Skype or phone calls for $250 for 60 minutes or glean free information off her great website, Post Divorce Chronicles
Depression Support Groups
We are blessed in this country to have counselors who will provide care on a sliding scale and free support groups through churches and hospitals. There are also local free clinics that provide pro bono counseling as well as domestic violence centers that may be available to you or a loved one. Please share the following resources with any middle-aged woman (or man) you know going through dark times.
- Domestic Violence Intervention. Here is a list of numbers to call worldwide if you are facing abuse. To learn about restraining orders in your area of the U.S., call 1-800-799-7233 (SAFE) or contact your state’s Domestic Violence Coalition. Never hesitate to call 911 if you are being abused or threatened.
- Low Cost Depression Providers. Depression Guide, Nancy Schimelpening went to great lengths to provide this comprehensive and growing list of low-cost providers who treat depression.
- YWCA. The YWCA in your area provides counseling to empower women. Click on this YWCA map to a center near you.
- UMKC Women’s Center. In the Kansas City metro, here is a full list of providers for women battling depression.I hope this helps you if you’re going through divorce or depression. Please share it with someone you love.
Please ask for help if you feel hopeless and share this list of support groups with anyone you know in need.
Get Your Free Reinvent Your Look eBook!
I believe that you are experiencing the best time of your life right now.
In my new eBook I will show you timeless beauty tips used by legendary beauties like Cher, Tina Turner and Audrey Hepburn. Now is the time to flaunt yourself not hide yourself or make excuses!
The best part is that my new eBook is yours for Free.
Just enter your best email to tell me where to send it.
Category: Health & Happiness